Monday, June 10, 2013

WFWA - The Worldwide Ferret Wrestling Association



   Oh man, I hate making this trip on Sundays. Especially when all I want to do is stretch out on my couch and watch a bunch of cheesy horror or sci-fi movies. I suppose I could just not go, but then he would just scratch at the Plexiglas all day.

  Its pretty annoying, but it means one of two things. Either he wants to run around for a little bit or he is hungry. Normally, it is a combination of the two. Bearded Dragons can be so demanding.

  Someone told me when Bearded Dragons get older they are supposed to become a little chunky and just want to sit in one spot and relax. Mine, apparently, has A.D.H.D., because he will sit still for about a minute and then suddenly make a break for under the couch or try to climb my hanging plants.

  Gaara, my Bearded Dragon, definitely has a lot of personality. Which is good, because it would be kind of boring if all he did was just sit there and not move. I just wish his cravings would finally switch from crickets to vegetables. That would be so much cheaper and I wouldn't have to make two trips to the pet store every week. Maybe he will make the switch some day soon, obviously today was not going to be that day.

  As I sat on the couch watching, Resident Evil: Retribution, I tried so hard to just ignore his little claws scrapping down the Plexiglas. If you have never heard this sound before, it sounds like someone dragging very sharp nails over the world's most sensitive chalkboard. Good luck ignoring that for any length of time.

  Given my choice between slow lizard nails on a chalkboard or just going to the pet store, I choose going to the pet store. Even after, I finally made the decision to go to the pet store, I still managed to stall for another twenty minutes.

  Luckily for my lazy butt, the pet store is only about two to three miles away. I even considered walking, but the sky was so gray and it looked like it could start pouring buckets at any second.

  The pet store is pretty much like every other pet store you have ever been to. The first few aisles are dedicated to turtle and lizard supplies. After that you have your bird and ferret supplies, followed by a few rows of dog and cat food.  The last few aisles in the store are completely dedicated to fish and aquariums.

  There is a plus side to going to the same pet store twice a week for the last few months. When you walk in, the woman behind the counter already knows I am there for crickets. All she does is confirm that I want the usual amount and off she goes.

  I never have understood how they count all those crickets and never lose count. That is not something I could do. I would get to like 23 and get distracted by something and have to start all over again. Sometimes I think they just kind of guesstimate the number and just goes with what looks right.

  Since, it takes them a few minutes to count all those crickets and to bag them up, I wandered over to see my favorite new show, The Worldwide Ferret Wrestling Association.

  I  have never owned a ferret nor known anyone else who has, but I was pretty sure I knew how they were supposed to act. I kind of thought they just hung around like cats, not really doing all that much but starring at the walls and sleeping. Turns out I was half right.

  Ferrets, essentially, have two modes. At least, from what I have observed. They do like to sleep, and when they do they all look so cute. They kind of just stretch out next to each other and sleep. Kind of like some of the guys at fraternities did when they drank to much.

  The other thing they like to do is wrestle. And ferrets just don't wrestle one on one, its like watching the ultimate no disqualification battle royal. One ferret will roll another ferret on to its back and as soon as it does, it goes after another ferret.

  No ferret is able to avoid taking part in these matches either. A few visits back, I remember seeing one white and black ferret sleeping in the corner oblivious to what was going on around him. That is until one of his brothers ran towards him and launched itself off a cardboard roll. It was like watching a wrestler leap from the third rope and splash down on top of his opponent.

Triple F kicks out at the last minute and avoids being
pinned by John Fur Ball.
   The once sleeping ferret immediately righted itself then joined the frey. I get so drawn into that I have even given some of them names. There is the Underbitter, John Fur Ball, Krazy Klaws, One Fang, Tripe F - Ferociously Fast Ferret, AJ Flea and there are a few others, but you get the idea.

  I tried to record them once, but the owner asked me not to use any video recording equipment in the store. Before  I could ask her why, she said she was afraid someone might copy the store lay out and prices. I'm guessing that no one has told her that even though their prices on crickets are pretty fair, everything else they sell you can find some where else for much cheaper.

  Heck, the only reason I continue to go there is for the free sports entertainment. Do you know how much you would have to shell out on pay-per-view for WFWA shows? A lot. Sure, the matches in the pet store may not be officially sanctioned matches, but they are definitely something to see.

  If you ever happen to be out by Pet's Smart Warehouse in Madison, Wisconsin stop in and take in a few matches. Tell them Jim sent you... Actually, on second thought, don't tell them that. I think lately she has gotten a little sick of me hanging around her store, eating popcorn and holding up signs of encouragement for my favorite ferret wrestlers. She claims it disturbs the other customers and the animals. Personally, I think she she just isn't a sports fan.

  Who knows, maybe I will see you there.