Sunday, November 4, 2012

Is That A Sword In Your Pants...

  It has been about a year since the Conceal and Carry Law was passed, and so far no one has shot anyone else for cutting in line at the Walgreen's checkout counter. Which is surprising since all I heard about when this law was being discussed was how people would start shooting each other over the littlest things. Kind of like the Old West, but with smaller and less offensive belt buckles.

  I will reluctantly admit that at first, I was one of those people. The worried ones, not the wanna-be gunslingers. Hey, my worry was justified. I work at a factory where guys are constantly bumping into each other, puffing out their chests and asking each other, "What are you going to do about it?" Sort of like being in the kindergarten version of New Jack City. Is it really surprising that with all that testosterone going around, I was about 60% sure someone was going to shot someone else. No one ever did though, and i think I know why.

  The sign. That's right, a simple piece of paper with words reminding people to leave their guns locked up in their cars. The idea is pure genius. I'm not sure why we haven't posted other versions of this sign elsewhere. For example on an airplane we could post a no hijacking sign or a no robbing sign at a bank. How great would it be if some super pissed off guy wielding a gun who was going to storm the bank door, read the sign and said, "Oh man, I didn't know. I better go put this gun back in my truck. Geez, am I embarrassed."

  I guess over the year as crazy as it may sound, I began to find the sign to be a little reassuring. Everyday when I walk up to that door, I see the sign and I can breathe easier because I know I work in a gun free building. Everything was okay...Until today, when I noticed the sign had changed. Now not only did the sign discourage people from carrying firearms into the building but it forbid weapons of any type.

   What the crap? When did this become an issue. I thought all I had to worry about were the crazy people and their guns. Now the sign is telling me I also have to look out for things such as tasers and knives and swords. I asked all the managers and higher ups why the sign changed, but no one had a straight answer for me. The closest I could get was a higher up who said the company has had some issues lately. Great. So, now my choices are to either get shot by Billy the Kid or have my head taken by the Highlander. Neither are very reassuring.

  It kind of makes me wonder what that sign will look like from a year from now. What weapons will I have to be looking out for in another five to ten years. Maybe there will be a no laser gun symbol, or perhaps no killer robots allowed. What about no crossbows that launch mini heat seeking missiles? It could even start referring to biological dangers such as the plaque. The possibilities are endless.

  I'm not sure how I feel about this ever changing 'no weapons allowed' sign, but I do know I am going to start reworking my resume tonight. I may not use it right away, but the moment I see two guys battling with swords over a vat of liquid metal, it goes up on monster.com. True story.